Job posting: Poetry Coach/Manuscript Editor
We are looking for a freelance poetry writing coach and editor to join our creative team. Our editors provide individual writer services to clients ranging from manuscript consultation and early-stage coaching/mentorship to developmental feedback to substantive editing, copyediting, and proofreading.
- Minimum eight (8) years experience working on poetry manuscripts
- Comfortable working with writers of all levels and abilities from those beginning their process to professional authors
- Able to work closely with writers to balance needs and goals and manage expectations against the overall scope of the project and budgetary requests to ensure the work is of high quality
- Able to provide developmental feedback (deep critique of a manuscript) that provides a thorough assessment of all areas of the manuscript from overarching holistic issues of flow, structure, and organization to specific issues of character/voice, plot, etc. in substantial and articulate notes in order to assist the writer as they enter into revision
- Comfortable with performing all levels of edit, from substantive editing involving significant rewrites in the voice and style of the project, to light copyediting
- Familiar with correct rules of grammar, punctuation, and syntax and able to use Chicago, APA, MLA, or adapt to a house style (upon client request) as needed and provide a style sheet to ensure uniformity of editing for each project
- Able to meet deadlines as pre-determined between editor and client and maintain warm and professional demeanour throughout the project work
- Comfortable with Microsoft Word and “Review” or “Track Changes” and working virtually with One Lit Place via team correspondence platform Asana and the writer on Ringcentral (training provided).
- Comfortable with variable schedules
Pay $50/hr. CDN
For more information, or to apply with a letter and CV, please contact Jenna Kalinsky at email@example.com